The Faithfulness of God: - Looking back at God’s track record in your life.
"Then Samuel took a stone and set it up... He named it Ebenezer, saying, 'Thus far the Lord has helped us.'" — 1 Samuel 7:12 (NIV)
When we face a new mountain, our natural instinct is to look upward with anxiety, wondering if we have the strength to climb it. We often forget that we aren't starting from scratch. We are standing on the summit of every mountain God has already helped us cross. To trust God for the future, we must become intentional historians of our own past.
The Illustration: In the days before GPS, hikers in rugged terrain relied on "cairns"—small, intentional stacks of stones left by those who had traveled the path before. These markers didn't just show the way; they proved that the path was traversable. When a hiker felt lost or exhausted, seeing a cairn provided immediate peace: Someone else made it through this, and I can too.
Samuel’s "Ebenezer" stone was a spiritual cairn for the nation of Israel. It was a physical reminder that their current safety wasn't a result of luck, but of God's active help. In our lives, we often suffer from "spiritual amnesia." We forget the bills that were paid at the last minute, the comfort that came during grief, or the doors that opened when all seemed lost. When we look back at God's track record, we realise that His past faithfulness is the greatest predictor of His future performance.
The Challenge
Take fifteen minutes today to do a "Faithfulness Audit." Look back over the last five years of your life and identify three specific "stones"—moments where God clearly provided, protected, or guided you. Write them down in a journal or on a note in your phone. The next time you feel anxious about a future "what if," look back at these three stones and declare: "Thus far the Lord has helped me, and He will not stop now."
Prayer
Lord, I confess that I am quick to forget Your goodness and slow to trust Your timing. Thank You for Your incredible patience with me. Today, I choose to remember. I thank You for the mountains You've moved and the valleys You've walked through with me. I place my future in the hands of the One who has never failed me yet. Amen.
