Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - 01392 206229 - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 27 July 2022

Summer Thoughts


Acts 3:19-20 Now change your mind and attitude to God and turn to him so he can cleanse away your sins and send you wonderful times of refreshment from the presence of the Lord and send Jesus your Messiah back to you again. 

Refreshing times come when we change our hearts and lives to live for God and with God in our everyday lives! In fact, Jesus has told us that he will reveal himself to us as we live obediently for him. His home will be in us until he returns for us and we get to enjoy the ultimate refreshment — going home to be with him forever.


Taking time off from our normal day to day activity gives us the chance to be refreshed; in fact it is truly a time of re-creation and seeing what is possible when we are renewed in Christ.


The great preacher Charles Spurgeon once said,  “Our Lord Jesus is ever giving and does not for a solitary instant withdraw His hand. As long as there is a vessel of grace not yet full to the brim the oil shall not be stayed. He is a sun ever-shining; He is manna always falling round the camp; He is a rock in the desert ever sending out streams of life from His smitten side; the rain of His grace is always dropping; the river of His bounty is ever-flowing and the well-spring of His love is constantly overflowing.”


Father, Creator of all, thank You for summer!
Thank you for the warmth of the sun
and the increased daylight.
Thank You for the beauty I see all around me
and for the opportunity to be outside and enjoy Your creation.
Thank You for the increased time I have to be with my friends and family,
and for the more casual pace of the summer season.
Draw me closer to You this summer.
Teach me how I can pray
no matter where I am or what I am doing.
Warm my soul with the awareness of Your presence
and light my path with Your Word and Counsel.
As I enjoy Your creation, create in me
a pure heart and a hunger and a thirst for You. Amen


Over the next weeks we will have a simple thought for each day with original summer images painted by Rev’d Paul Collings

No comments: