Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - 01392 206229 - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 30 May 2022

That’s the Spirit


Breathe on me, breath of God;
fulfil my heart's desire,
until this earthly part of me
glows with your heavenly fire.


A valued family text is found in the words of Jesus where he says, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Matthew 6:21.  The Message paraphrase puts it this way “The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being.”


Where do you put what is most precious? Whether on public display or hidden, Jesus asks you to consider the real importance of what is valuable to you. Think about what was important to Jesus, how his words and actions showed the attitude and outlook of his heart. See how what was in Jesus’ heart connects with what is in yours and ask God to help you grow in appreciation of this true treasure.


In this verse of the hymn it would appear that the writer is pleading that the Holy Spirit, breathing through me will not only fulfil my heart’s desire but mirror through grace the heart of God. Ravi Zacharias writes “Time is the brush of God, as he paints his masterpiece on the heart of humanity.”


I recall another verse from childhood that said, 


If one should ask of me, how can I tell?
Glory to Jesus, I know very well !
God’s Holy Spirit with mine doth agree,
Constantly witnessing Jesus loves me.


Have you ever considered that the theological word atonement, finds a greater meaning when written as at-one-meant. This is the prayer of Jesus for his followers that “that they will be of one heart and mind, just as you and I are, Father—that just as you are in me and I am in you, so they will be in us, and the world will believe you sent me.” 


O Lord, my God, thank You for reminding me that You are a loving God. Thank You for reminding me You want to bless me and give me the desires of my heart. Steer me in the right direction, Father. Lead me to You in all things and in all ways. May Your desires be my desires, Lord. Bend my will to Yours so I want what You want. Help me be diligent in seeking Your will and then help me watch You work to make all things that are possible actually happen. I love to watch You work, Father. You are still the God of miracles and You desire to bless each one of Your children with all good things. Increase our faith and belief in You, Lord, and keep our hearts pure and longing to be Yours. Help us give each part our hearts and souls to You so You can mould us as You desire. May Your love flood our souls. Help us bless someone this day. Thank You our hearing my prayer.


No comments: