Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 21 November 2023

Wellbeing


Isaiah 58:11 the Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy you with all good things, and keep you healthy too; and you will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring.

The interesting thing about using a GPS system when travelling by car is that, even if I deviate from the suggested route, it continues to track me and even recalculates a route to get me back on the right road. Isaiah is talking about another kind of GPS - God’s Positioning System.

If you open a bible concordance to look up the word "guidance," expecting to find a long list of verses promising guidance from God you’ll won’t find it there. Instead, you will find the word "guide" and a number of verses promising that God Himself would be the guide of His people.

People who have a visual impairment need guide dogs, not guidance dogs! Even if dogs were capable of talking, how unsatisfactory it would be if they were mere bystanders, shouting warnings from a distance: "Careful now! You’re approaching a hole. Watch out for the curb!"

Writing about God’s sure guidance, British pastor Frank W. Boreham recounted a time when a minister visited his home in New Zealand. Being young and inexperienced, Boreham sought the counsel of his guest. He said that one morning they were sitting on the veranda, looking out over the golden plains to the purple sunlit mountains. He asked the minister, "Can a man be sure that in the hour of perplexity he will be rightly led by God? Can he feel secure against making a false step?" "I am certain of it," exclaimed the minister, "if he will but give God time! As long as you live, remember that. Give God time!"

Dear God, Please help me trust You and trust Your timing. I tend to get impatient and I tend to take matters into my own hands. I know this is a weakness of mine. I am so sorry. Holy Spirit, please transform this part of me. Help me to trust in You, Lord, and trust that Your timing is best. I pray for patience and I pray I would understand that Your ways are better than my ways. I do not always know how to have patience. My flesh is weak when it comes to waiting. Please help me to be stronger in this area! I also pray that my husband would have patience and trust in Your timing. We rely on You, Lord. I pray that as we wait on You, we would encourage each other to remain patient and faithful in Jesus’ name. Amen

No comments: