Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 24 December 2020

Faith in Times of Crisis - by Dr J P Hunter


Thursday 24th December - Faith in Times of Crisis by Dr J P Hunter  Read Psalm 23

Although this Psalm featured in this series in June, for New Year’s Eve these beautiful words are so fitting that we should be inspired by them once more. This Psalm has a simple message at its core: have confidence in God. David uses two analogies to express his own relationship of trust with God: of a shepherd and of a host. The Lord is my shepherd and You prepare a table before me, 1 and 5


Few sentences in all Scripture have given greater comfort than verse 4: even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil, for you are with me. It is the companionship of the Lord himself that changes all. It does not mean there are no deathly valleys or enemies, but they are not capable of hurt: our souls are safe. Living in that personal relationship of trust in Him we are, I am, able to face a New Year in a time of difficulty and uncertainty.

 

Lord of all people and of all times, at the completion of this year I would like to thank you for bringing us this far.Thanking you for your companionship, your guidance, your love, your mercy and care. At the start of a new year, may I ask you to be with our country, our people, our Church, my family and myself. Be our guide, be our shepherd, as I am still before you and put my trust in you. Amen.


No comments: