Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Saturday 31 August 2024

Daily Devotions

 


Following of from Jesus treasure teaching we considered yesterday, today in Matthew we find him saying, “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.” Matthew 13:45-46

What do these words say to us?


Sunday Times’ journalist Matthew Parris – a man, who by his own confession, is not a Christian, wrote:


’The New Testament offers a picture of God, who does not sound at all vague. He has sent His Son to earth. He has distinct plans for each of us personally and can communicate directly with us.


We are capable of forming a direct relationship, individually with Him, and are commanded to try.


We are told that this can be done only through his son. And we are offered the prospect of eternal life – an afterlife in happy, blissful or glorious circumstances if we live this life in a certain manner.

Friends, if I believed that, or even a tenth of that, how could I care which version of the prayer book is used.


I would drop my job, sell my house, throw away all my possessions, leave my acquaintances and set out into the world burning with desire to know more...”


People can give their time and energy for many causes and reasons. We can spend a lot of time making enough money to buy a good house, travel the world. We give up some things we like to get what we want. We sell a car to buy another car. We may give up personal interests to look after the family well. Relationships demand  sacrifices for the joy of the love they bring us. We know that to get something, we may have to give something else up. 


This is the sort of idea Jesus puts before us. His message is that the kingdom of God has come among us now. In him, God is very close to the world and to us. The marks of this kingdom are qualities like compassion, justice, love, mercy, peace of mind and heart, closeness to God. These are treasures of life, and to live by them, we will find ourselves giving up other concerns.


Real and authentic discovery of God brings joy. It is the joy of being in love and of staying in love with the one who never changes. We may let go of other loves then - even of people who keep us from the love of God. We are committed only to the treasure in the field, the love of God and the love of people who bring us to God. Our concern is to bring alive the gospel of Jesus in the world. We pray that others may find the treasure through us.


We treasure many things in life. We treasure some more than others. Our faith and love of God, the love of others and our care for them - these are treasures. Hiding treasure seems to go against the inclination to share the good news. Perhaps there are times when I need to receive God's word quietly, turning it over in my heart, valuing it and considering my life in its light.


Ever giving Lord, I want to fully surrender to your call and serve your Kingdom with wholehearted devotion. You are worthy of my life, and your Kingdom is worth any price I must pay. Please help my faith to remain strong, my vision clear, and my heart set fully on doing your work. In the midst of this, I know you will keep me in your grace. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

No comments: