Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Saturday 29 June 2024

Daily Devotional


Fall from Grace. ... “you who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.” (Galatians 5:4) This phrase is  most often used to describe a high-status individual who has fallen on hard times or is now subject to social anathema.

J I Packer places the notion of falling from Grace in terms of how Martin Luther described the doctrine of justification by faith as the article of faith that decides whether the church is standing or falling. By this he meant that when this doctrine is understood, believed, and preached, as it was in New-Testament times, the church stands in the grace of God and is alive; but where it is neglected, overlaid, or denied, ... the church falls from grace and its life drains away, leaving it in a state of darkness and death.


Charles Spurgeon and Joseph Parker both had churches in London in the 19th century. On one occasion, Parker commented on the poor condition of children admitted to Spurgeon's orphanage. It was reported to Spurgeon however, that Parker had criticised the orphanage itself. Spurgeon blasted Parker the next week from the pulpit. The attack was printed in the newspapers and became the talk of the town. 


People flocked to Parker's church the next Sunday to hear his rebuttal. "I understand Dr. Spurgeon is not in his pulpit today, and this is the Sunday they use to take an offering for the orphanage. I suggest we take a love offering here instead." The crowd was delighted. The ushers had to empty the collection plates 3 times. Later that week there was a knock at Parker's study. It was Spurgeon. "You know Parker, you have practiced grace on me. You have given me not what I deserved, you have given me what I needed.”


Thank You, Heavenly Father, that Your mercies are new every morning and that Your faithfulness never fails. Thank You, that You are interested in every area of my life and that despite my many faults and failings, You have promised to lead and to guide in all things. And thank You Lord, that You have promised to supply the sufficient grace I need in every situation of my life. 

 

Father,when I come to a stand-still in my life, I pray for Your grace and guidance to lead and direct in the days that lie ahead. You have promised in Your Word to be with me and to go before me, so that if I turn to the right hand or to the left, I will hear a voice right behind me guiding me, saying, "This is the way, walk in it."

 

Give me Your grace and guidance in the choices I need to make and direct my thinking, so that my firm resolve and final decisions will be in line with Your perfect will for my life.

 

Thank You, Father, that Your grace is sufficient and that no matter where I go or what I do You have promised to be with me. Thank You in Jesus' name. Amen

No comments: