Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 17 July 2023

Journeys


After God rejects Saul as king, Samuel is told to go to journey to Bethlehem to anoint David. (1 Samuel 16): 
“…I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king.”

Another journey, another king and another unlikely candidate.


Have you ever noticed that right through history God has chosen the most unlikely candidates to lead his people. I was reminded recently that Winston Churchill, that great orator prime minister had as a child had a speech impediment.


Here in David, a mere shepherd boy is declared by God to be the chosen king. He seemingly lacked the credentials for kingship.


There was a boy who did not have much athletic ability. Every time he and his friends would play some game, he was always the last to be chosen. One day two new fellows came to play with them and were allowed to be team captains because they were older. The first team captain chose the boy who had always been chosen last before. Why? Because they were brothers, and he loved his brother. So it is with God. He chose us not because of our abilities, but because he loves us.


But what are we to do as God’s chosen?


In Ephesians, Paul reminds us that God chose us to be in him before he created the world not because of our personal merit, but because of his merit. Despite our own frailties and failings, and our obvious inability to become holy and perfect in his sight, God chose and empowers the least of these to become holy and blameless.


When God has chose you, it doesn't matter who else has rejected or neglected you. God's favour, his grace outweighs all opposition.


In 1 Corinthians 1:27-28 we read, “But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are.”


Just remember that David although chosen was’t without his faults!


Lord, thank you because you have chosen me. I know we are God’s chosen people.  I will not doubt the task you hold for me. Thank you for giving my life meaning. I will do my best to do everything you asked me. Lord, I pray you to show me the right direction and to show my mistakes if I make them. I pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.


No comments: