Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 30 June 2023

Summer Blessings


So here is a final seashore incident for us to consider.

Acts 16:6-10 They went to Phrygia, and then on through the region of Galatia. Their plan was to turn west into Asia province, but the Holy Spirit blocked that route. So they went to Mysia and tried to go north to Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus wouldn’t let them go there either. Proceeding on through Mysia, they went down to the seaport Troas


That night Paul had a dream: A Macedonian stood on the far shore and called across the sea, “Come over to Macedonia and help us!” The dream gave Paul his map. We went to work at once getting things ready to cross over to Macedonia. All the pieces had come together. We knew now for sure that God had called us to preach the good news to the Europeans.”


In a sense this completes one theme and yet introduces our next of journeys through the bible.

I have often been heard to say that the problem with many a church is that it tends to say, “Lord, I have an idea, please bless it.” Rather than in terms of scripture to wait upon the Lord.

Albert Einstein was traveling from Princeton on a train. When the conductor came down the aisle punching tickets Einstein reached in his vest pocket; he could not find his ticket, so he reached in his trouser pockets. It wasn’t there so he looked in his briefcase, but still could not find it. He looked in the seat next to him, but it was not there.


The conductor kindly said, “Dr. Einstein, I know who you are, we all know who you are. I’m sure you bought a ticket, don’t worry about it.” The conductor then continued on his way punching tickets. Just before he went to the next car he turned around and saw the great scientist on his hands and knees looking under his seat for his ticket.


The conductor rushed back and said, “Dr. Einstein, Dr. Einstein, don’t worry. I know who you are. No problem. You don’t need a ticket.”


Einstein said, “Young man, I too know who I am. What I don’t know is where I am going.”


Perhaps the answer to right decision making and finding the right direction for our lives is found in the in the ancient words of Proverbs 3:5-7 ‘Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil.”


Father God, as I seek to live for Jesus, I do pray that the Holy Spirit will guide me in my decisions, empower me in my efforts, and open the doors of people's hearts to your message. I do not want to try to live my life for you on my own efforts. I am thankful for your assurance that you — as Father, Son, and Spirit — go with me. In Jesus' name, I thank you. Amen


No comments: