Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - 01392 206229 - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 28 August 2020

My Home City - Reflections on my early years in Plymouth 2

 St Peter’s Church of England by Rev’d Paul Collings 

St Peter’s Church built in the 1840s was hit during the night of Monday 21 April and the early morning of Tuesday 22 April 1941. Although not demolished the church was entirely destroyed internally by incendiary bombs. Therefore the exquisite detail and beauty of this church was entirely lost. It was rebuilt and opened in 1950s and reordered in 2007.


Worship the Lord your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you. Exodus 23:25 


St Peter’s Church on Wyndham Square,

The place where first I learned to share 

Worship’s rich liturgical  form,

That left my spirit strangely warm.


To my young mind each performed rite

Spoke of a glorious holy sight,

As from the school we there would wend

To sit a while, some time to spend.


The priest in vestments sang the prayers

And spoke of gospel truths with care;

Instilled in our young tender minds

Some semblance of that grace divine.


Yet in my heart and mind today

There echos scenes, as I replay

The memories of those times long past,

Their shadow still upon me cast.


And Lord, may now that grace divine

Still truth imprint upon my mind;

As from my heart I daily raise

A living anthem, sing your praise. 


“Above all sing spiritually. Have an eye to God in every word you sing.  Aim at pleasing Him more than yourself, or any other creature. In order to do this attend strictly to the sense of what you sing, and see that your heart is not carried away with the sound, but offered to God continually; so shall your singing be such as the Lord will approve here, and reward you when  he cometh in the clouds of heaven.” John Wesley


No comments: