Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 27 August 2020

Faith in Time of Crisis - 20 by Dr J P Hunter


 St Nicholas Church - Reith bei Seefeld in Tirol by Rev’d Paul Collings - A Church with Open Doors

Meditation by Dr J P Hunter

Psalm 16 - Good News Translation – a miktam of David. 

Protect me, O God; I trust in you for safety.
I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
    all the good things I have come from you.”

How excellent are the Lord's faithful people!
    My greatest pleasure is to be with them.

Those who rush to other gods
    bring many troubles on themselves. 
I will not take part in their sacrifices;
    I will not worship their gods.

You, Lord, are all I have,
    and you give me all I need;
    my future is in your hands.
How wonderful are your gifts to me;
    how good they are!

I praise the Lord, because he guides me,
    and in the night my conscience warns me.
I am always aware of the Lord's presence;
    he is near, and nothing can shake me.

And so I am thankful and glad,
    and I feel completely secure,
10 because you protect me from the power of death.
I have served you faithfully,
    and you will not abandon me to the world of the dead.

11 You will show me the path that leads to life;
    your presence fills me with joy
    and brings me pleasure forever.


Meditation

As our church buildings are about to re-open, this Psalm expresses the joys of a life lived in companionship with God and of being in the presence of the Lord’s faithful people, verse 3. By saying in verse 8 nothing can shake me, David is expressing the unique sense of security felt by believers. God does not exempt believers from day-to-day circumstances of life; we will still experience trouble, physical and emotional pain. But whereas unbelievers might have a sense of hopelessness about life, believers can move ahead confidently in God’s nearness. They know that God will keep them from being moved off his chosen path. David’s heart was glad, he had found the secret to joy. True joy goes much deeper than happiness. Happiness is dependent on external circumstances; true joy is based on God’s presence within us. As we understand the future He has in store for us, we will experience joy.


Prayer

Thank you, Lord, that all the good things in my life come from you. I trust in you for my safety and security, knowing that through your nearness, you will warn and guide me to remain on the path that leads to life. 


The knowledge of your presence fills me with joy, now and in eternity. Amen.


Hymns & Psalms 421, verse 1


How blest is life if lived for thee,

My loving Saviour and my Lord!

No pleasures that the world can give

Such perfect gladness can afford. 

                                                                            Anonymous                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

No comments: