Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 28 August 2020

My Home City - Reflections on my early years in Plymouth 3

 Penlee Secondary Modern, Plymouth by Rev’d Paul Collings 

Jeremiah 3:1-8 Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” Then I said, “Ah, Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’; for to all to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the Lord.”


So where the sixty years long past

Since first I  took my place in class

At senior school, there to prepare 

For life’s events to learn, to dare.


To dare to find the path, the way

Unfolding each and every day,

A setting of foundation stone

Though the far future still unknown.


Now looking back, I see again

The diligence the care the chain,

Forged by the staff, that still remains

It’s constant reference point  maintains


And from that learning of my youth

Lord, still you challenge with your truth

You call me each and every day

To listen to your teaching way.


Lord, show me too how I can share

Your gracious truth and there with care

Help others learn life’s lessons too

And make each step a pathway new.


The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. - William Arthur Ward


No comments: