Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 25 August 2020

My Home City - Reflections on my early years in Plymouth 1

 

St Peter’s Primary School - Plymouth by Rev’d Paul Collings 

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.

In Wyndham Square there still stands

The primary school where little hands

First learned to write and eyes to read.

As in its rooms young minds did feed.


The teacher’s skill, their tender care

Where children’s minds become aware

Of life’s potential, set their feet

On paths made firm, each journey greet.


There too relationships did grow

And how to share and so to know

That in the lives of others find

Creator’s will with ours entwined.


So thankful, Lord, for those school years

Where learning grew in spite of fears;

For teacher’s who in me could see 

A future day what I could be.


For those who teach in this our day

With different pressures, Lord, I pray

That they will too hold in their heart

Each child’s uniqueness from the start.


Help each to see unfolding way

As if each step was a new day,

Help them with care and steadfastness

Capture, inspire such worthiness.


‘Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.’ –Benjamin Franklin


No comments: