Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 1 May 2020

Symbols of The Passion and Resurrection of Jesus Day 7
Artwork and Verse by Rev’d Paul Collings



In Memoriam
The gravestone carved,
memorial read 
to Rest in Peace 
lies one here - dead.
And so I mused as 
there I walked 
across the springtime’s 
old church yard.

What moved the stone 
upon that day 
when in the tomb 
the Master lay
His broken body 
lifeless, still.
How to remember 
how to tell.

Then from some recess 
in my mind
that evening see 
the past rewind 
and see the master 
girthed and towelled 
kneel at my feet to 
wash, I scowled


This memory now
I dearly hold 
of Servant King 
of nobler fold; 
who unlike those 
‘neath earth’s grand crypts, 
washes my feet 
and with me sits.

He broke fresh bread 
and wine he poured;
His body blood 
and life assured; 
that with this supper 
we secure, 
not memory 
but presence sure.

Jesus present,
Risen Lord, 
gird me with towel 
so to afford 
a servant heart, 
my life outpour 
and with this memory
You Adore.

No comments: