Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 28 May 2020

Faith in Time if Crisis 7 by J B Hunter

“My Light and My Salvation” 
by Rev’d Paul Collings

Psalm of David  27:1-4 
The Lord is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident. One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.
Meditation
This Psalm is about finding confidence in times of difficulties. The first 3 verses open on a note of trust even under heavy pressure. Where does this trust come from? It comes from one activity: being a seeker. Seeking to dwell in the house of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. This does not mean literally trying to take up residence inside a church or temple building even if they are closed. It means we can and should seek a constant relationship with God. That is seeking “that we may evermore dwell in him and he in us”.
Prayer
O Lord, you are my light and my salvation. Why should I fear my enemies? With you as my rock, why should I ever feel afraid? 
But in times of human weakness and trouble, Lord be merciful to me. For I seek you with all my heart. I seek a constant relationship with you. Teach me your way O Lord. Grant me confidence to live through difficulties, my Lord and Saviour. Amen.                          
                     Jonathan Aitken, 2004, adapted.
Singing the Faith 682, verse 3
Lo, the hosts of evil round us
scorn your Christ, assail his ways!
Fears and doubts too long have bound us;
free our hearts to work and praise.
Grant us wisdom,
grant us courage,
for the living of these days.
                                                                                                                     Harry Emerson Fosdick (1878-1969).

No comments: