Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 15 August 2024

Biblical Numbers


When exploring the number 10 in the context of the bible, an obvious passage would be that of the 10 commandments given to Moses on Mount Sinai. But today I want to look at the significance of a tenth and particularly the notion of tithing. Tithing in the Bible refers to giving 10% of one’s annual earnings, productions, or possessions to the Lord.


Through the years this has come to mean that the tithe is given to the church. But I wish to argue, giving to the Lord may not be necessarily be solely to the church and I would even question, is a tenth enough?


The guideline for tithing and offering today is vastly different, from that aptly explained by Paul. “Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” (2 Corinthians 9:6-7)


Yet, let me change the paradigm by using the words of Frances Ridley Havergal where she begins to contemplate her ownership of the many aspects in her life.  She writes Take my life, my moments and my days, my hands, my feet, my voice, my lips, my silver and my gold, my intellect, my will, my heart, my love, myself and in the end gives it all to God.


So, far from a tenth, is the right faith offering 100% of all that God has given us. This change of ownership aligns with much of Jesus teaching and the notion of stewardship, our responsibility for that which he is placed in our hands. John Wesley puts it starkly when he says, “. Do you not know that God entrusted you with that money (all  above what buys necessities for your families) to feed the hungry, to  clothe the naked, to help the stranger, the widow, the fatherless; and,  indeed, as far as it will go, to relieve the wants of all mankind? How  can you, how dare you, defraud the Lord, by applying it to any other  purpose?“


May we well pray in the words of Brindley Boon


Time, health and talents presenting,
All that I have shall be thine;
Heart mind and will consecrating,
No longer shall they be mine.

O for a heart of compassion,
Moved at the impulse of love,
Lost ones to bring to thy footstool,
Thy gracious riches to prove!


Take thou my life, Lord,
In deep submission I pray,
My all to thee dedicating,
Accept my offering today. Amen

 

No comments: