Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 16 August 2024

Biblical Numbers


The meaning of the number eleven in Jewish thought is important as it can symbolise disorder, chaos and judgment. Coming after 10 (which symbolises law and responsibility), eleven (11) represents the opposite, and is indicative of irresponsibility, of breaking the Law, leading to disorder and judgment.

In Genesis 11, we find humankind rebelling against God and building the tower of Babel. The result we find is a confusion of languages, resulting in chaos. So, most often, eleven has negative connotations. Stories with this number often revolve around rebellion, disorder, judgment, betrayal, idolatry, bribery, lack of trust in God. This results in a sense of being incomplete, or a sense of false authority r government.


The Old English form of eleven has close Norse association derived from early German, sometimes connected with leik or leip meanin that which is left or remaining, with the implicit meaning that "one is left" after counting to ten.


In Matthew 5:17-18 we find Jesus saying, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfil. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.”


Jesus lived in such a way that the words of the scriptures came to life. Let us  think of how the scriptures come to life in me by what I do and what I say and that there is no need for me to add or subtract anything from God's living word.


Dear Lord, I thank you for your promise that you did not come to destroy the law or the prophets, but to fulfil them. I claim this promise today and ask that you help me to understand and follow your teachings. May your word be a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Help me to live a life that is pleasing to you and in accordance with your will. Thank you for your faithfulness and for the gift of salvation through your son, Jesus Christ. Amen.


No comments: