Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 10 July 2024

Sayings


Today we consider ‘It is better to give than to receive.’ In Acts 20:35 we find Paul summoning the Elders of the Church in Ephesus and saying to them. “In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive’.”

When Jesus says our giving is more blessed, He’s telling us that there is more happiness or joy to be found in God when we give, rather than when we receive. This saying from Jesus is not recorded in the Gospels but was most likely passed onto Paul by those who heard Jesus teach. We know from John 21:25 that Jesus did and said many things that are not recorded in the Bible. Therefore, we need to look at both Jesus’ example throughout the Gospels, and the context of Pauls' speech in Acts 20 for the meaning of the phrase.


Augustine framed this giving as, “Where your pleasure is, there is your treasure; where your treasure is, there is your heart; where your heart is, there is your happiness.” We may well ask, why does God want me to be generous? Because he wants me to be like him.


“What giving again?” I ask in dismay.
“And must I keep giving and giving away?”
“Oh no,” said the angel looking me through,
“Just keep giving till the Master stops giving to you.”


Lord God,
Thank you for the blessings in my life. I want to bless others. It’s such a simple thing, but so often, I find obstacles to keep me from acting on my gratitude-–limited finances, time, energy, indecision. Help me overcome the challenges I face that prevent me from doing your good works to bless others as you have blessed me.
In Jesus’ name,
Amen.


No comments: