Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 11 July 2024

Sayings


Move mountains implies to do something that seems impossible, particularly when love or a particular belief makes you feel determined to succeed. Matthew 17:20 says, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” But there is another verse that qualifies the use of this power found in 1 Corinthians 13 1 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

So, in God’s economy there is no stronger spiritual assert than the power of love. Frederick Buechner  adds "Of all powers, love is the most powerful and the most powerless. It is the most powerful because it alone can conquer that final and most impregnable stronghold, which is the human heart. It is the most powerless because it can do nothing except by consent.”


Peter A. Fraille, a Jesuit priest and founder of the “Divine and Human Institute,” tells of a letter he once received from a sixteen-year-old girl. In the letter, she said she was having a problem with another girl who was trying to steal her friend. She wrote about the jealousy and anger, and frustration she was feeling and how she was trying to deal with it. She went on to say that even though she now disliked her, the friend is still as lovable and valuable as she is herself. Then she ended the letter with these beautiful words:


As I was finishing this letter, something hit me like a ton of bricks. I have seen my father’s library, and he has many books that I want to read. I have lots of time ahead of me to read and to learn, but I just realised one thing. No matter how much I learn, no matter how much I experience, no matter how much I write, if I don’t love, I don’t know anything!


“Intense love does not measure, it just gives.” ~ Mother Teresa.


I lift my arms in surrender to the You who reigns above the heavens and the Earth. There is no power on Earth greater than yours. No love stronger. No wisdom deeper. You alone stand above the earth, but you have willingly chosen to also stand beside me. You didn’t have to reveal yourself to me, but in love you did. May your greatness be revealed in my life so that others may see your glory as well. Amen


No comments: