Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 23 July 2024

Bible Snapshots


We next come to Luke's gospel with a suggested theme - He is a friend of sinners.  Luke is distinctly different from both Mark and Matthew in that it is suggested that Luke’s Gospel is mainly written for a gentile audience. It is further suggested that the main focus of Luke's Gospel is the nature of the salvation that Jesus Christ provides. Because Jesus encounters a wide variety of people in Luke, this Gospel offers a glimpse into the different facets of salvation–its spiritual, physical, and social dimensions.

Reflecting on the Gospel of Luke, Scottish Theologian William Barclay suggests, that within its pages, “Jesus promised his disciples three things—that they would be completely fearless, absurdly happy, and in constant trouble.”


Luke pays special attention to the theme of Jesus' mercy. In fact, in his narration we find some episodes that highlight the merciful love of God in Christ, who said that he had come to call, not the just, but sinners (cf. Lk 5:32) Luke particularly frames this message by referring to Jesus as the Son of Man.


Jesus is called the Son of Man for at least three reasons. Firstly the title Son of Man reveals Christ’s humanity, secondly his humility, thirdly his deity, in that Jesus is the supreme example of all that God intended humankind to be, the embodiment of truth and grace


Classic of this teaching is Luke’s telling of the Zacchaeus incident. Jesus has come "to seek out and to save the lost". To his follow-Jews, Zacchaeus is a traitor and, in their words, a sinner. Yet he is the man whom Jesus chooses to be his host during his stay in Jericho. What does this say about Jesus? About his ministry? About his priorities? Do I share these or am I among the naysayers and critics?


Perhaps as we consider the Son of Man who came to save the lost, we should  pray, Lord, I am often like Zacchaeus, making huge efforts to catch a glimpse of you, only to find that you are waiting for me, calling me by name, inviting yourself into my heart. Once I am with you, I find happiness in putting things right, ordering my life, finding the springs of generosity and justice that have been stifled by old habits. Jesus, as I meditate on the story of Zacchaeus, you look at me as you looked at him. You call me by name, and invite me to join you. You do not make demands, but in your company I want to change something in myself, and to offer it to you. I seek you Mercy, Amen.


No comments: