Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 24 July 2024

Bible Snapshots


The Gospel of John’s overarching theme appears to - He is the Son of God! With the express purpose to demonstrate Jesus as the source of eternal life. John does this by announcing that God's Word, which brought all things into being, became flesh in Jesus of Nazareth. That during his ministry, Jesus reveals the power of God by performing seven miraculous signs, including turning water into wine, healing the sick, and raising the dead.

Many would argue that this theme is succinctly recorded in John 3:16 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, so that every one who believes in him shall not be lost, but should have eternal life.” J B Phillips


Martin Luther famously said of John 3:16, “it is the Bible in miniature.”


All great theologians have had their favourite texts; but this has been called "Everybody's text." Herein for every simple heart is the very essence of the gospel. This text tells us certain great things.

  • It tells us that the initiative in all salvation lies with God. 
  • It tells us that the mainspring of God's being is love.
  • It tells us of the width of the love of God.

As Augustine put it: "God loves each one of us as if there was only one of us to love.”


Father, I believe that you gave Jesus to save me from my sins. I confess that I cannot fully understand that love, but I thank you and praise you with all of my heart. Please forgive me when my life does not reflect your loving evaluation of my worth. Give me the strength to believe what you say about me and what you have done for me. I place my full trust in your love to continue its transformational work of redemption in me. Thank you that you are making me better than I am right now. Thank you even more for ransoming me from my sin and giving me life with you. In Jesus' name. Amen.


No comments: