Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 11 June 2024

Sayings


Today’s phrase, “Weighed in the balance”, comes from the chapter 5 in Book of Daniel and records the story of the writing on the wall. It tells how Belshazzar, the last king of the Neo-Babylonian Empire holds a great feast and drinks from the vessels that had been looted in the destruction of the First Temple. 

A hand appears and writes on the wall, MENE, MENE, TEKEL, PARSIN. The terrified Belshazzar calls for his wise men, but they are unable to read the writing. The queen advises him to send for Daniel, renowned for his wisdom. Daniel reminds Belshazzar that his father Nebuchadnezzar, when he became arrogant, was thrown down until he learned that God has sovereignty over all kingdoms. Daniel then reads the message and interprets it: God has numbered Belshazzar's days, he has been weighed and found wanting, and his kingdom will be given to the Medes and the Persians.


Daniel reads the words and interprets them for the king: "MENE, God has numbered the days of your kingdom and brought it to an end; TEKEL, you have been weighed ... and found wanting;" and "UPHARSIN", your kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians.


Years later, Jesus spoke to the Pharisees about a kingdom found wanting, “Any kingdom divided against itself is bound to collapse, and no town or household divided against itself can last for long.” Matthew 12:26


Years ago when balanced scales where still in use a baker sued a farmer over the pound of butter that he was buying. He said that when he first started buying butter from the farmer, it was a full pound. But gradually the farmer was selling him less and less, until now he was only giving him about three quarters of a pound of butter and still charging him for the full pound. And so he sued him in court.

The farmer in his own defence said to the judge, "Sir, I only have a balanced scale to measure the butter,” he said, “and I always put the baker’s pound loaf of bread on the other side of the scale and that’s how I know when he has his pound of butter.” Hmmmm!


I wonder what scale we use to measure?


Lord, help me to create a balanced life.
Help me to take time to enjoy life, 
to be a person full of gratitude.
Help me take time to love, 
to extend my hand in service to those around me.
Lord, remind me to take time to learn, 
to be disciplined and accountable.
Help me to make a difference in the 
small and big moments of my life.
Lord, help me to keep smiling, 
to be happy, and to try to be myself. 
Lord, infuse me with your spirit 
so I can create a life of balance, 
moderation, and simplicity.
And whatever my challenge, 
let it be an occasion to deepen my life’s purpose. Amen


No comments: