Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 10 June 2024

Sayings


Here is another saying from the Old Testament,  “By the skin of your teeth!” It comes from an episode in the life of Job where he is in dire straits and he complains, “All of my best friends[a] despise me, and those I love have turned against me.My skin and my flesh cling to my bones; I have escaped by the skin of my teeth.”

In modern times, "by the skin of my teeth" is used to describe a situation from which one has barely managed to escape or achieve something or faced a close call. Close calls can be good for the soul.  God can use them to cause us to face ourselves and Him.  Close calls can wake us up and help us sort out our priorities.


Throughout history there are many stories of close calls that have set folk on a different pathway. Paul experienced a number, from the peril of being shipwrecked on Malta to being imprisoned in Caesarea. 


In a similar way, John Wesley faced the peril of the sea on route across the Atlantic. We read in his journal for Sunday, January 25, 1736, “the sea broke over, split the main-sail in pieces, covered the ship, and poured in between the decks, as if the great deep had already swallowed us up. A terrible screaming began among the English. The Germans calmly sung on. I asked one of them afterwards, “Was you not afraid?” He answered, “I thank God, no.” I asked, “But were not your women and children afraid?” He replied, mildly, “No; our women and children are not afraid to die.”


“From them I went to their crying, trembling neighbours, and pointed out to them the difference in the hour of trial, between him that feareth God, and him that feareth him not. At twelve the wind fell. This was the most glorious day which I have hitherto seen.”


Perhaps for us, when we face “by the skin of our teeth” situations, is to remember that where ever we are, according to Psalm 139 8-10 “If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.”


Didn’t Jesus say, “remember, I am with you always, even to the end of the world.” (Matthew 28:0)


He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,

He sendeth more strength as our labours increase;

To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,

To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.


When we have exhausted our store of endurance,

When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,

When we reach the end of our hoarded resources

Our Father’s full giving is only begun.


Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,

Our God ever yearns His resources to share;

Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;

The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.


His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,

His power no boundary known unto men;

For out of His infinite riches in Jesus 

He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.


Annie Johnson Flint (1866-1932)


No comments: