Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 22 May 2024

Pentecost


Henri Nouwen, Dutch Catholic priest, professor, writer and theologian, says “Without Pentecost the Christ-event - the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus - remains imprisoned in history as something to remember, think about and reflect on. The Spirit of Jesus comes to dwell within us, so that we can become living Christs here and now.”

In Acts 1:8 we find Jesus saying, “You don’t get to know the time. Timing is the Father’s business. What you’ll get is the Holy Spirit. And when the Holy Spirit comes on you, you will be able to be my witnesses in Jerusalem, all over Judea and Samaria, even to the ends of the world.”


Every sales person knows you can’t sell what you don’t believe in. People can tell a mile away if you’re just reading from a manual or rehearsing a memorised presentation. The best sales people are those who believe in what they’re selling to the point that they’re not selling anything—they’re simply talking about what they know to be true.


It’s the same way with the gospel. If you haven’t experienced Jesus, you can’t witness for him. Oh, you can try but it’s going to come off sounding canned. What a difference it makes when you share from the depths of your soul what Jesus means to you. This is the best kind of witnessing.


This is confirmed in 1 John 5:10, “Anyone who trusts the Son of God has this truthful testimony at the core of his being.”


John Gowans In the Musical Spirit puts it this way, 


Who is it tells me what to do

And helps me to obey?

Who is it plans the route for me

And will not let me stray?

Who is it tells me when to speak

And what I ought to say?

That’s the Spirit!

Holy Spirit!

That’s the Spirit

Of the Lord in me.


Who is it gives me heavy load

And helps me take the strain?

Who is it calls to sacrifice

And helps me take the pain?

Who is it sees me when II fall

And lifts me up again?


That’s the Spirit!

Holy Spirit!

That’s the Spirit

Of the Lord in me.


Who is it shows me what to be

And leads me to that goal?

Who is it claims the heart of me

And wants to take control?

Who is it call to holiness 

Of body mind and soul?


That’s the Spirit!

Holy Spirit!

That’s the Spirit

Of the Lord in me. Amen


No comments: