Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 26 July 2023

Journeys


To journey with Jesus means opening our eyes to the needs of others. Compassion leads us to service – meeting fundamental human needs of food, clothing, and shelter.

“There was a pastor of a small church who had a little daughter of about 6-years-old. It was near her bedtime, and she was sent to bed with a stomachache and missed her usual romp with her daddy. A few minutes later she appeared at the top of the stairs and called to her mother, ‘Mum, let me talk with Daddy.’

“‘No, my dear, not tonight. Get back in bed.’

“‘Please, Mum.’

“‘I said, no. That’s final.’

“‘Mother, I’m a very sick woman and I must see my pastor at once’” 

The world is abounding with those who have various needs to be met; and some are more serious than others. And we’re left with the choice to either ignore those needs, or become a catalyst for positive change by extending a hand.

Similarly to yesterday, today we extend the notion of compassion as an intentional action of the disciple. It is one thing to feel compassion, it is another actively enter the life of another, feel their pain, share their circumstance and walk around in their shoes. There is the well known verse from Deuteronomy 24:19 “When you reap your harvest in your field and forget a sheaf in the field, you shall not go back to get it. It shall be for the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.”

But Jesus went further when he shared with his disciples. Matthew 25:35-40 

For I was hungry and you fed me; I was thirsty and you gave me water; I was a stranger and you invited me into your homes; naked and you clothed me; sick and in prison, and you visited me.’

“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Sir, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you anything to drink? Or a stranger, and help you? Or naked, and clothe you? When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?’

“And I, the King, will tell them, ‘When you did it to these my brothers, you were doing it to me!’

Love is shown in action. Prayer is not always enough. The prayer which does not lead to action is not real prayer. ‘Love is found in deeds rather than in words’ says Ignatius of Loyola. Prayer is not an armchair exercise!

Lord, you call me to recognise you in all those who are in need. May my response be one of concrete and loving service. St Ignatius says: ’Love manifests itself in deeds more than words.’ St John of the Cross tells us: ‘In the evening of life, we will be examined in love.’ Help me to intentionally meet those in need with the love that you have placed in my heart. Amen


No comments: