Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 7 October 2022

Discipleship - Faith


Discipleship is not an academic process, although learning is part and parcel of our discipline, but is a journey of intense love. 

The late Dr. Leslie Weatherhead, past president of the Methodist Conference, describes the moment when his first child was placed in his arms. He could not possibly have loved that precious bundle more. But when the second child was born he knew that, without loving the first less, he loved the second no less. How much wider is the embrace of God's love.


Although in language that sounds so foreign to the 21st century ear none the less speaks of how the love of God in Christ  moves the disciple.


The love of Christ doth me constrain

To seek the wandering souls of men;

With cries, entreaties, tears, to save,

To snatch them from the gaping grave.


Such is the loving way that forms the essence of the call to discipleship. We recall the words of Jesus to Peter.


John 20:15-16 After breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?”

“Yes, Master, you know I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

He then asked a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?”

“Yes, Master, you know I love you.”


Jesus said, “Shepherd my sheep.”


To be a disciple of Jesus is to be asked the question often, 'Do you love me?' it is not the that Jesus doubts us, but he wants us to recognise how we express that love. Guided by St Ignatius, we might ask, 'What have I done for Christ? What am I doing for Christ? What will I do?'


Your light is the only light I need,
as I travel through life's mystery .
Your word the only voice I hear,
that still small voice that leads me
to the place where I should be.
Your presence is the only company I need,
as I walk this narrow road.
Your fellowship the warmth I crave,
to help me on my way. Amen


No comments: