Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - 01392 206229 - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 24 August 2022

Summer Thoughts


Gracioso Shoreline Houses by Paul Collings

Matthew 4:18-20 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.


We may well ask what nets do I need to leave in order to follow Jesus wholeheartedly? What obstacles, what material attachments, what comfort zones have wound themselves so tightly around me that I cannot get up and follow him?


Sidney Edward Cox (1887-1975)  Sets the scene in the context of our own circumstances.


By the peaceful shores of Galilee,

Mending their nets by the silvery sea,

The fishermen toiled at their tasks each day,

Till the Master walked along that way.


And they left their nets when they heard his voice.

Making the Master's call their choice;

And they toiled with him for the world astray,

To bring men back to the Father's way.


And the self-same voice is heard today,

Calling to men in the self-same way

As the fishermen heard by Galilee:

Leave now your nets and follow me.


Follow thou me, he calls again,

And I will make you fishers of men;

As in the days by Galilee,

Jesus is calling you and me.


Jesus, show me what I need to leave behind in order to be a good disciple. Do not let me fall far behind you and lose sight of you. Keep me close. Thank you for these times of prayer, and for inviting me to share in following you. Amen’

 

No comments: