Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - 01392 206229 - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 12 July 2022

Prayer - Thanksgiving


1 Thessalonians 5:18: Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. (NLT)

Being thankful during hard times does not sound exciting, does it. In fact it can seem quite  confusing. Saying thank you for pain and heartache. Being thankful for betrayal are surely the last thing we want to do.


LaToya Edwards Questioned if thanksgiving in all circumstance was even possible. She writes, “The more I read, the more I realised that God was really serious about this whole being thankful thing. So I started to try it out. When someone hurt my feelings I would thank God for the self-control not to attack them with my words. It was hard at first, but over time, being thankful during hard times has got easier.”


Saying thank you as part of our prayers is not just a pleasantry but a participation in the very essence of God with us.  And when we question, “Lord do you really want me to be thankful during this trial?” The answer is an unequivocal yes!.


Perhaps as we say thank you to God, we need to be mindful that we never go through these hard times alone; God is always there! He knows what we are going through and He knows how He will carry us through each trial.


Take a few minutes each day to thank God for having your best interest at heart  and for loving you enough to walk with you through every trial.


Lord, teach me to offer you a heart of thanksgiving and praise in all my daily experiences of life. Teach me to be joyful always, to pray continually, and to give thanks in all my circumstances. I accept them as Your will for my life.  Change my outlook and attitude into one of joyful contentment with my present circumstances. In Jesus name. Amen.


No comments: