Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 11 July 2022

Prayer - Thanksgiving


Psalm 95:2 Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.

AW Tozer suggests that - “Gratitude is an offering precious in the sight of God, and it is one that the poorest of us can make and be not poorer but richer for having made it.”


However, so often we disagree as to the nature that such thanksgiving when sharing in worship together, but that perhaps misses the point of thanksgiving within our prayers. We are to pray with thanksgiving – not just when we feel like it, but as an act of our will and obedience. Regardless of what’s happening in our lives, we’re to thank God for the good, for the difficult, for the unknown, for the big decision we’re facing, and even for the challenging relationships.


What thanksgiving does is that it alters our perspective.


When we actively and proactively give thanks, it forces us to take the focus off our problems and on to who God really is.


I recently read of someone who wrote, “Just a few mornings ago when I was feeling particularly stressed, Hebrews 13:15 came to my mind: Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name. This spurred me to pray: “Lord, I thank You so much for how You have helped me this week in battling discouragement. 


The people in scripture were reminded again how much thanking God always changes their perspective and gave them peace, especially when they felt overwhelmed or were facing a lot of pressure.


Heavenly Father, thank You.  Thank You for being everything to me and for me.  You are faithful!  You are concerned with everything that concerns me.  I am grateful for Your Holy Spirit who comforts me during times of fear and doubt.  Thank You for everything that You’ve done for me; seen and unseen.  I will praise Your name, forever!  In Jesus’ name, Amen.


No comments: