Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 25 October 2021

An ABC of Faith


Faith 

Someone described Faith as Forsaking All I Take Him; but how would you describe Faith.

Here are a number of quotes from people of faith.


“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”  ― C.S. Lewis


Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase. – Martin Luther King, Jr.


Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” ― Corrie ten Boom


I think that John Wesley puts into words my thoughts on faith. “When I was young I was sure of everything; in a few years, having been mistaken a thousand times, I was not half so sure of most things as I was before; at present, I am hardly sure of anything but what God has revealed to me."


But look at what Jesus said, “Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not cast it out?" He said to them, "Because of your little faith. For truly I tell you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you." - Matthew 17:18-20


In the scene leading up to the disciples question we find three groups of players in the unfolding drama. A distraught, despairing, beseeching father; the suffering epileptic son; the helpless disciples and  the crowd, hoping against hope to see suffering relieved. Put yourself in the scene and as you watch, where is your faith.


The man is nameless, a representative of the many fathers who pray for their children - mothers too, and each of us who prays often for someone we love. All human life is in the gospel of Jesus, the men and women who brought their own ailments or their cares about others to him. We know of their faith and of Jesus' positive response when people have faith. Faith may be small, like the smallest seed we know, or like a drop of water. Joined to the power of Jesus, our faith can work small or great miracles.


The father seemed to have more faith than the disciples. His faith touched Jesus and he noticed the difference between their faith and his. Love of a child or indeed any love can strengthen faith. Faith and love are intimately linked in the Christian experience. We can understand what Jesus is about and believe in him only when we know we are loved by him and can grow in our love of him.


The disciples went back to Jesus with their question. Keep this image in mind as you bring the questions of your life before Jesus.


May you be able to say, as I ask for greater faith, I ask for a greater ability to trust those around me. I pray for a belief in myself that is founded on God's truth.


1.Give me the faith which can remove

And sink the mountain to a plain;

Give me the childlike praying love,

Which longs to build thy house again;

Thy love, let it my heart o'er-power,

And all my simple soul devour.


4.Enlarge, inflame, and fill my heart

With boundless charity divine,

So shall I all my strength exert,

And love them with a zeal like thine,

And lead them to thy open side,

The sheep for whom the Shepherd died.


Charles Wesley


No comments: