Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 26 October 2021

An ABC of Faith


Forgiveness


There’s are two New Testament passages where Jesus explicitly addresses the subject of forgiveness. Matthew 18: 21-22 "Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, 'Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?' Jesus answered, 'I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.'"Matthew 6: 14-15 "For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."


I think that Jesus returns to the need for forgiveness so often because it is so difficult. It is easy to see the need in others; but when I have been deeply and intentionally hurt by somebody close to me, it tears me apart to forgive them. Yet the burden of unforgiven grievance lies heavy on my heart, not on the other's.


I often recall my father’s saying, “Remember, when you point the finger, your have three pointing back at you!” It is at such times when my criticism is unwarranted that I need to pray, “Lord, teach me to recognise my resentments and grievances and then take the first step in shedding them.”


I am also encouraged by Peter who, in a moment when living in the way of the Gospel seemed difficult, brought his question to Jesus. I to pray that I may be able to speak to Jesus about my life, about how it really is.


Disunity and disagreement between Christians are often sources of scandal and confusion. And perhaps we need to pray for tolerance and patience as we try to live as Jesus did and work to cultivate a loving forgiveness.


Peter had an idea that faith might be about counting and calculating but Jesus thinks otherwise. It is easy to be led to give attention to numbers and to measure the wrong things on the wrong scales. Should we ask for God's help as we try to figure out what Jesus' message means to us.


Skeins of geese fly over our gridded and mapped-out cities, using a more ancient navigation than our technology. I wonder how we might trust God’s spirit in us, not being restricted to the usually-trodden and safe paths.


Prayer

Dear Lord, I thank You for the power of forgiveness, and I choose to forgive everyone who has hurt me. Help me set free and release them to You. Help me bless those who have hurt me. Help me walk in righteousness, peace, and joy, demonstrating Your life here on earth. I choose to be kind and compassionate, forgiving others, just as You forgave me. In Jesus’ name, amen.


No comments: