Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 3 August 2021

A Methodist Way of Life

 


Whose servant are we, or who is our  master?

  • A Merthodist Way of Life asks the question, “What has helped or hindered you in your service of others?”
  • Jesus speaks of a similar dichotomy
  • No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. Matthew 6:24

Many of the phrases in this section of the gospel are well known, but perhaps are not always fully understood or applied. It could be said in discipleship terms these words are the heart of the matter and the matters that need to be centred in a servants heart. The message of Jesus is not to be worried about many things in life. He does not look down on concern for money, clothing and the things we need every day, even telling us to pray for our daily bread. He alerts us to the futility of worry and anxiety which can take our minds and hearts off what is really essential in our lives


I listen to Jesus’ words not just as advice, but consider how he lived them out. I think of the difference his living freely made in the lives of others and continues to make in mine. I talk to him about my worries and listen to his response as he takes on my cares.


Following Jesus advice, I think of how I might take time to consider the natural world. I plan to spend some time with a plant or watching the birds.


Jesus shows us that worry undermines faith. I bring my worries before God and ask for help to bring them into a truer perspective. As a consumer, I may allow my values to be set by others. I review my wants and desires and ask God's help to be happy with the good things that I enjoy, to resist being wistful about what I am told I lack.


The Hymn-writer puts it this way, “Brother, Sister, let me serve you, let me be as Christ to you.” 


In Matt 6:24-25, Jesus continues with a clearer discussion about priorities: no one can balance service and devotion equally between two masters. The corollary, of course, is that we all serve someone or something. Jesus’ comment is not that it is merely inconvenient, ineffective, or unhealthy to have two bosses; He says that it is impossible to have more than one controlling influence over us. The one that is supremely in control is … well, our master. Ultimately, we will decide to be devoted to one (i.e., top priority), so the only question is which one it will be.


Lord, thank you for letting us work with you to share your joy with the world. Help us not take for granted the gift it is to share you gospel to the nations, and to our neighbours. Help us have eyes to see the needs around us and to respond to those needs in joy and hope. Amen


No comments: