Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 2 August 2021

A Methodist Way of Life


We left Saturday’s devotion with the verse from John’s Gospel that said, “If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honour him.” John 12:26

This gives rise to the question; “What are the distinctive marks of a servant?”


Let’s tease out what Jesus is saying about servanthood.


Firstly, Jesus says here that ‘serving’ and ‘following’ him are the same thing. It is not for us to choose how or where to serve him. We must follow first and let him lead us to where he wants us to serve. A disciple cannot say, ‘I did it my way!


Secondly, God can use us to affect the lives of many people for good. But for this we need to be following Jesus, not following our own whims and preferences. We are to surrender our lives and ask the question ‘Lord, what do you want me to do with my life today’?


Thirdly, It will not do for the grain of wheat just to die in order to produce fruit. It must ‘fall into the earth’. We will achieve nothing on our own. We need the nourishment which Jesus provides, for he is our life. When anything in us dies in the service of God, something better is born. The word in the greek ‘Earth’ also translated as ‘Ground’ just doesn’t mean soil it can also refer to the whole earth.


So how can we define a Servant of Christ? A servant of Christ knows who is the King. A servant of Christ is one who has voluntarily set aside his or her personal rights in order to love, serve, and obey the will of God in Christ Jesus. Servants of Christ die daily to sin and fleshly desires, allowing Christ’s life to flow through them.


Today’s verse to ponder comes from Galatians 2:20, “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.


Lord, grace me with the gift of letting go of all that I cling to. May I not block your Spirit moving in me. Work through me so that I may carry you to all those whose lives I touch. Amen


How are you seeking to serve others in your communities and beyond? 


No comments: