Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 23 February 2021

Lent - Keep it simple


Imitators of Christ

Matthew 5:5 “Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.”


One cannot start thinking about these words without also looking at Psalm 37, because it is almost certain that this beatitude alludes to it: “The meek shall possess the land, and delight themselves in abundant prosperity” (V11). The word for ‘land’ in Greek and Hebrew also means ‘earth’. So what are we to make of this? Who will inherit the earth? The dictionary tells us that meek means ‘quiet, gentle, and not willing to argue or express your opinions in a forceful way.’ But was not Jesus described as meek and mild? That definition doesn't seem to fit.


Apparently, the word ‘gentle’ or ‘meek’ is the word ‘praeis’ in the original Greek language. It means ‘to have a strong, but tender and humble, life.’ Now that makes me feel somewhat better...


I have come to realise that my life needs to reflect that of Jesus, to try daily to be more like him. So as I reflect  on this passage I ask — do I need to try to be more ‘meek’ in the real sense of the word? Do I need to change my attitudes and make my prayer: ‘Lord God, make me more like your Son Jesus day by day. Amen.’


Activity 

Make a list of people, including Jesus, who have seen exhibit meekness. What are they like to be around? How do they react in stressful situation? Which of their characteristics do you want to reflect in your own life? 


Prayer

Loving Father, I give all that I have to You. I bring all my weaknesses to You. As Your word says, enable me to become an “imitator of God”. Fill me with the spirit of prayer, praise and worship. Help me to move in the Spirit. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. 

No comments: