Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 22 February 2021

Lent - Keep it Simple


God Comforts

Matthew 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted


CS Lewis writes in the Problem of Pain, “Pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in out pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pain: it is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”


There is also a temptation of us who follow Jesus Christ to try to defend God in times if grief and mourning.  God needs no defending, but if we listen closely in those dark times, his voice can be hear speaking.


God whispers four things to us...


“This is not how I intended life to be” - God looked at his world and it was good. Then pain and death enter the story and every human life is affected.


“My heart is broken too-“ John reminds us, ’Jesus Wept’ (11:35).  As he stood alongside friends, he wept. As he felt the pain of loss, he wept.


“What are building your lives upon?” - in times of loss and grief we recognise how fragile life is - how should we make the most of every moment?


‘I am always here....’ - Hebrews 13:5 contains the words: “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”


Activity:

Identify the part of the message above that particularly encourages you. Is there someone who could benefit from hearing these words, who you could share them with.


Prayer

Ever present Lord, hear my prayer and grant me the peace that passes all understanding. Show me the way to your throne so I may sit at your feet and know your abiding comfort. Let a wellspring of joy rise from my heart until it overflows. Lead me to your garden of peace, so I may sit in your presence. Let me hear the songs of praise and know peace within my soul this day. Amen."


No comments: