Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 14 December 2020

Advent Adventure


Meeting others on the way

My family often laugh at me when I return from travelling across the UK or even abroad and say, “who did you bump into this time?” as Inevitably I have recognised someone or they me on my travels. Even though in some cases, many years have passed, either I or they recognise something familiar.


One of my favourite encounter accounts in the Gospels is found in Luke 8:26-39 where Legion, the man possessed and in so much inner conflict, comes face to face with Jesus. Two verses stand out for me are v28 “When he saw Jesus, he cried out and fell at his feet, shouting at the top of his voice, “What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg you, don’t torture me!” and after Jesus had cast out his inner demons, we read “When they came to Jesus, they found the man from whom the demons had gone out, sitting at Jesus’ feet, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid.” This for me just shows how Jesus changes the lives of those who meet him on their way.


There is something about the joy of meeting a dear friend and allowing their presence to lighten our day. Paul in writing to the Corinthians understands such joy,  particularly in his encounter with Jesus. “For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God's glory displayed in the face of Christ.” (2 Corinthians 4:6)


In these words, Paul has something to say about Jesus. The great thought that he drives home is that in Jesus Christ we see what God is like. "He who has seen me," said Jesus, "has seen the Father." John 14:9. When Paul preached he did not say, "Look at me!" He said, "Look at Jesus Christ! and there you will see the glory of God come to earth in a form that a man can understand."


C. S. Lewis has words to help is to reflect the presence of Jesus in every encounter, “Don’t shine so that others can see you, shine, so that others can see Him.”


Loving Lord Jesus!

Give me the grace to seek You diligently all through the day just as how You sought Your Father while You sojourned on this earth. Help me to seek Your kingdom and its righteousness first and trust that You will add all things to it. May I learn to unload my burdens at Your feet and carry Your yoke which is light and easy to bear.

In Your precious name I pray.

Amen.


No comments: