Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 11 November 2020

Exploring Street Theology


The wonder of childhood

To see the wonder in a child’s face is one of the greatest joys in life. The wonder of discovery, the joy of finding the unexpected bounty, the unraveling of a mystery as a growing young mind experiences something new. Sadly, as we mature, so often that wonder becomes buried in cynicism of adulthood or the hard hearted onslaught of the world.


Do you remember some of your early day moments of awe and wonder? In many senses, there are awesome wonders in the actual wonder we encounter in children; they are signs of wonder in themselves. The prophet Isaiah 8:18 writes “I stand my ground and hope, I and the children God gave me as signs to Israel, Warning signs and hope signs from God-of-the-Angel-Armies, who makes his home in Mount Zion.”


If you want to witness a natural display of a sense of wonder, just observe a child. A child's whole world is viewed through the eyes of wonder and excitement. A child has no judgements of why things are so, but rather a child is in awe of life and views life through innocence, purity and curiosity.


Perhaps we need to take again the advice of Jesus who said, “You may have often heard the term "be childlike," referring to our adult self to let go of the adult ego and be more open and curious. The truth is that we lose our sense of wonder as we become adults. Believe me,” he said, “unless you change your whole outlook and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of Heaven. It is the one who can be as humble as this little child who is greatest in the kingdom of Heaven.“Anyone who welcomes one child like this for my sake is welcoming me.”


You see, Jesus sets the bar for entrance into the kingdom quite high: we must change and become like little children. This in turn begs the question, “Where do I need to change most?” Ours is a world of the self-centred, where so many are engrossed by themselves and their importance, so that being like a child is really counter-cultural. Maybe it is right to consider, “I ask for light and wisdom to see where and how I can become like a little child.”


Loving Lord it is with deep regret that as I consider the plight of many children and begin to feel sorrow at the scandal of child abuse, within and without the Church. I pray for the victims and the abusers, and for our leaders, humbly and compassionately. I consider how I look at the children present in my life. God in heaven, I ask you to cleanse me of everything that gets between me and you. Help me to drop any bias, any hesitation, and any frustrations I have. Help me to have faith like a child that I might trust you and praise you alone. Tear off anything that I’ve built to cover up my shame, so I can be closer to you. Amen.


No comments: