Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 12 November 2020

Faith in times of Crisis by Dr J P Hunter


Psalm 86:1-2, 5,8, 14-15, 17. New International Version (NIV) - A prayer of David.

1 Hear me, Lord, and answer me,
    for I am poor and needy.
2 Guard my life, for I am faithful to you;
    save your servant who trusts in you.
5 You, Lord, are forgiving and good,
    abounding in love to all who call to you.

8 Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord;

   no deeds can compare with yours.

14 Arrogant foes are attacking me, O God;
    ruthless people are trying to kill me—
    they have no regard for you.
15 But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God,
    slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.
17 Give me a sign of your goodness,
    that my enemies may see it and be put to shame,
    for you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me.


Meditation

This Psalm is David’s prayer in times of trouble and it moves from trouble to confidence. 

When in times of distress or trouble, we cry out to God: Guard my life (86:2) and acknowledge the greatness of God There is none like you, O Lord (86:8) in the expectation that God will answer prayer. 

Like David, we can express that we feel under attack Arrogant foes are attacking me (86:14).

Like David, we can pray for a sign of God’s goodness (86:17a) and not overlook what we have been given: support of family, friends, Christian hope and fellowship, light at the start of each new day, the expectation of a new vaccine, not before developed so fast, not before so effective. 

Like David, thereafter conclude in thanks: for you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me (68:17b).



Prayer 

Living God, Heavenly Father, in times of trouble we turn to you, to hear our cry and guard our lives.

We acknowledge that there is none like You. You are all powerful, mighty, eternal, yet forgiving, compassionate, individually loving us, one by one. We cry out and pray. You provide a sign of your goodness to help and comfort us. What can we do in return? Your name be praised. Amen.



Hymn - Singing the Faith 132:1,7


1 O God, our help in ages past,

   our help for years to come,

   our shelter from the stormy blast,

   and out eternal home.


7 O God, our help in ages past,

   our help for years to come,

   be thou our guard while life shall last,

   and our eternal home.


                                                                                                              Isaac Watts (1674 – 1748).


No comments: