Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 24 July 2020

Places on the Way - Gateways


Mark 4:37 He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything.“ - This series looks at picture parables from the old and New Testament that we might see on our journey as disciples of Jesus.


The picture is of the Gateway to Mdina, Malta’s Old Capital; known as The Silent City. 


Psalm 24:7-10 Lift up your heads, you gates; be lifted up, you ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in. Who is this King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle. Lift up your heads, you gates; lift them up, you ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in. Who is he, this King of glory? The Lord Almighty—he is the King of glory.


Many the gateway, many the road,

Many the pathway, many the load,

Comings and goings, turmoil and grief

My fellow companions;  no peace, no relief.


These are the portals along life’s course

The track I travel, where I discourse

And contemplate, reason, question how

To enter your courts and humbly bow.


Noble the gate to your loving grace;

Yet in my weakness can I find place 

Where in concert I raise up my head

And sing to your glory without dread.


Lord, help me realise the gateway of hope

Where you walk with me, so I may cope.

There in your presence, call me to hear

“Come, enter my kingdom, without fear.”


“Still round the corner there may wait

A new road or a secret gate

And though I oft have passed them by

A day will come at last when I

Shall take the hidden paths that run

West of the Moon, East of the Sun.”


- J R R Tolkien



No comments: