Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 23 July 2020

Faith in Times of Crisis - By Dr J P Hunter

 
Image - “Blessed to be a Blessing” by Rev’d Paul Collings


Meditation - Faith in times of crisis 15 by Dr J P Hunter

Psalm 34:1-4,6-7,11-15,18-19,22. Of David. The Living Bible.
I will praise the Lord no matter what happens. 
I will constantly speak of his glories and grace.
I will boast of all his kindness to me. 
Let all who are discouraged take heart. 
Let us praise the Lord together and exalt his name.
For I cried to him and he answered me! 
He freed me from all my fears. 
This poor man cried to the Lord—
and the Lord heard him and saved him out of his troubles. 
For the Angel of the Lord guards and rescues all who revere him.
Sons and daughters, come and listen 
and let me teach you the importance of trusting and fearing the Lord. 
Do you want a long, good life? 
Then watch your tongue! Keep your lips from lying. 
Turn from all known sin and spend your time in doing good. 
Try to live in peace with everyone; work hard at it.
For the eyes of the Lord are intently watching all who live good lives, 
and he gives attention when they cry to him. 
The Lord is close to those whose hearts are breaking; 
he rescues those who are humbly sorry for their sins. 
The good man does not escape all troubles—he has them too. 
But the Lord helps him in each and every one. 
As for those who serve the Lord, he will redeem them; 
everyone who takes refuge in him will be freely pardoned.

Meditation.
This Psalm expresses in many tones how good and generous the Lord is in His blessings. But many of these blessings require our active participation. He will deliver us from fear (34:4), save us out of troubles (34:6), guard and deliver us (34:7), listen when we talk to Him (34:15) and freely pardon and redeem us (34:22). 
But we must do our part in seeking and crying out to Him (34:4,6), revere and fear Him (34:7,11), trust Him (34:11), refrain from lying (34:13), turn from sin, doing good, seeking peace with effort (34:14) being humble (34:18) and serving Him (34:22).
When we begin our Christian life, our knowledge of God is limited and incomplete. As we come to trust Him daily, we cannot help discovering how good, kind and generous He is.

Prayer.
Thank you, Lord, that you are such a generous and kind God to those who come to seek and trust you.

I praise you for your glory and grace. Even when I am discouraged, I will raise my voice to honour your name. With your help I will seek to do good, refrain from sin and make serious effort to live in peace with my nearest, dearest and all I meet. Then you will redeem me when I seek refuge in you. How great you are. Amen.

Singing the Faith 51, verse 1 with refrain.

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father,                   
There is no shadow of turning with thee;                      
Thou changest not, thy compassions they fail not;      .
As thou hast been thou for ever wilt be.


Refrain:                         
Great is thy faithfulness! Great is thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
all I have needed thy hand hath provided
Great is thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.
                              Thomas O. Chisholm (1866-1960).


No comments: