Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 29 July 2020

Faith in times of crisis 16

Image “Thanksgiving” by Rev’d Paul Collings

Meditation by Dr J P Hunter

Psalm 138:1-7a; 8a. Of David. Good News Translation


1I thank you, Lord, with all my heart;
  I sing praise to you before the gods.
I face your holy Temple,
  bow down, and praise your name
  because of your constant love and faithfulness,
  because you have shown that your name and your commands are supreme. 
When I called, you answered me;
  with your strength you strengthened me.


All the kings in the world will praise you, Lord,
   because they have heard your promises.
They will sing about what you have done
  and about your great glory.


Even though you are so high above,
  you care for the lowly,
  and the proud cannot hide from you.

Though I walk in the midst of trouble,

  you preserve my life.
8 The Lord will fulfil his purpose for me;

  your love O Lord, endures forever.
    

Meditation

This is a Psalm of thanksgiving for answered prayer. In v1 before the gods may mean before lower heavenly beings such as angels. Then in v3 the reason for such superior thanksgiving is revealed: receiving strength after answered prayer. Thanksgiving is an essential part of our worship and praise of God. Do we remember when we asked God for guidance, protection, strength, patience, love or other blessings and He supplied them? As we thank God for material and spiritual blessings in our lives, we should thank Him too for answered prayer.


Prayer

Almighty God, in thanksgiving I come to seek your presence in the midst of my humble daily life. I thank you for your constant presence in my life, even during times when I was not aware of you. I thank you for the many times in my life that you answered prayer, even though I sometimes took them for granted.

I praise you for your constant love and faithfulness in recent difficult times just gone. And I trust you for your goodness in days to come, as you fulfil the purpose for my life. Amen.


 Hymns & Psalms 566 verse 1


Now thank we all our God,

With hearts and hands and voices,

Who wondrous things has done,

In whom his world rejoices;

Who from our mothers’ arms

Has blessed us on our way.

With countless gifts of love,

And still is ours today.

No comments: