Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Saturday 18 July 2020

A Walk Through God’s Garden - The Lilies of the Field


Today we start a series of walking through God’s Garden


Hosea 14:4-5

I will heal their apostasy, I will love them freely, For My anger has turned away from them. I will be like the dew to Israel; He will blossom like the lily,


Luke 12:27-28

Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; but I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you? You men of little faith!


The lilies (Gr. krinia) spoken of in the New Testament ( Matthew 6:28 ; Luke 12:27 ) were probably the scarlet martagon (Lilium Chalcedonicum) or "red Turk's-cap lily", which "comes into flower at the season of the year when our Lord's sermon on the mount is supposed to have been delivered. It is abundant in the district of Galilee; and its fine scarlet flowers render it a very conspicuous and showy object, which would naturally attract the attention of the hearers" (Balfour's Plants of the Bible).


The lily in my mind, dear Lord,

I picture as I read your word,

Is of a bright new Easter day 

And resurrections glowing ray;

With trumpet bell, proclaiming pure

That life for me I see, is sure.


Yet when I plum the depths and read

How lilies of the field they spread

Their glorious blooms, bright crimson, red

I see how by your love you thread

A garment new of beauty rare

That speaks of your creative care.


Your promise now I hear again,

You clothe me too. assure, ordain,

No thought of mine do I require

Or what to wear, put on, attire.

For by your gracious providence

I can’t improve, amend, enhance.


Lord, as lilies of the field emit

Their perfect tailored bright outfit

Help me when clothed by grace divine

To radiate, to bloom, entwine

My life with all creations glow

And through your hands your love to show.


“I remained, lost in oblivion; My face I reclined on the Beloved. All ceased and I abandoned myself, leaving my cares forgotten among the lilies.” John Of The Cross


No comments: