Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 3 December 2020

Faith in Times of Crisis


Psalm 96:1-3, 10-13. New International Version (NIV)

Sing to the Lord a new song;
    sing to the Lord, all the earth.
Sing to the Lord, praise his name;
    proclaim his salvation day after day.
Declare his glory among the nations,
    his marvellous deeds among all peoples.


10 Say among the nations, “The Lord reigns.”
    The world is firmly established, it cannot be moved;
    he will judge the peoples with equity.

11 Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad;
    let the sea resound, and all that is in it.
12 Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them;
    let all the trees of the forest sing for joy.
13 Let all creation rejoice before the Lord, for he comes,
    he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness
    and the peoples in his faithfulness.


Meditation by Dr J P Hunter


The season of Advent is the season of awaiting His coming.


This Psalm speaks with certainty of such coming: for he comes, he comes 96:13 

First, at Christmas time, God out of love for His world, sends his Son into the world so that all those who believe in Him may have eternal life. Then, at the end of time, at his second coming, Jesus will return to the nations with his angels and a loud trumpet call to judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in his faithfulness 96:13. So there is awaiting of coming twice. 


Living in times of trial during Advent, when you and I might feel weak or limited, not feeling like praising, remember that God can give you strength for this day and this week. The power that controls creation, healed the sick, raised the dead is available to you and me. Realising that, praying for it, receiving that strength to carry on, may lead us to sing praises in our heart too.


Prayer

Heavenly Father, in times of trial when I feel weak or limited, I thank you that I can read your Word and speak to you in prayer and know that you will listen. You are my Father and I am your child. I am seeking your presence and I am seeking strength to carry on. I thank you that you are always near me, I thank you for your light in my world. I thank you for Advent and Christmas to come. Will you come in my heart too? 

Amen.


Hymn 185 Singing the Faith, verse 1, refrain.

1 Sing we the King who is coming to reign;

   Glory to Jesus, the Lamb that was slain!

   Life and salvation his empire shall bring,

   Joy to the nations when Jesus is King.

 

   Come let us sing: praise to our King,

   Jesus our King, Jesus our King:

   This is our song, who to Jesus belong:

   Glory to Jesus, to Jesus our King.

             Charles Silvester Horne (1865-1914)


No comments: