Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 2 December 2020

Advent Journey - Expectation


Advent Journey - Expectation 

Isaiah 43:16-21 Do not remember the former things, or consider the things of old, I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?


A Christian writer considering the expectation of Advent writes, “Whenever I went on a train journey as a child, I always insisted on having a forward-facing seat.’Otherwise,’l explained,'l will be ill.’ But now I wonder whether my travel sickness was just an excuse.l suspect the real point was that I wanted to see where l was going. I still do. I have never been able to understand why some people choose the other seat. Why travel into the future looking only at where you have come from?


Recently it has been pointed out to me that the safest place for rail passengers is in the backward—facing seats. Personally, however, if we are going to have an accident I would rather see_it coming!” (Advent Readings from Iona by Brian Woodcock and Jan Sutrch Pichard ©️2000 Wild Goose Publications)


This begs the question; which way am I looking as I travel? Janus was the god of beginnings and transitions in Roman mythology, and presided over passages, doors, gates and endings, as well as in transitional periods such as from war to peace. He was usually depicted as having two faces looking at opposite ways, one towards the past and the other towards the future. 


As a god of beginnings and transitions both in literal and abstract ways, he was also responsible for motion, changes, and time. He was present in the beginning of the world, guarding the gates of Heaven, and he also presided over the creation of religion, life, and even the gods. He was probably considered the most important Roman god, and his name was the first to be mentioned in prayers, regardless of which god the worshipper wanted to pray to.


There is a startling difference for us, as we are encouraged to look forward. Why? Because the past is in the hands of the one who comes as redeemer. It was Oswald Chambers who said, “Leave the broken, irreversible past in God's hands, and step out into the invincible future with Him.”


Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for Your unfailing promises. I come before You with the past I can’t change. I look to the future in anticipation of the new thing You desire to do in me, for me and through me, as I walk in obedience to You. Please do a new thing in me and change me to be increasingly like Jesus. I ask it for His glory. Amen.


No comments: