Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 14 October 2024

Daily Devotions


2 Kings uses the history of the kings of Judah and Israel to explain the destruction of Jerusalem and points to their exile in Babylon in the hope that they might gain a new self-understanding. It is a story of the monarchy’s failure and deserved judgment. But, it is also a story of God’s unrelenting commitment to his people through divine words of hope, judgment, summons, and warning, as God seeks to maintain God’s covenantal relationship with the people. 

Amidst all this struggle, falling away and exile, there is one verse that stands out, 20:5 “Go back and tell Hezekiah, the ruler of my people, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you. On the third day from now you will go up to the temple of the Lord.” 


Hezekiah was one of the few kings of Judah who was constantly aware of God’s acts in the past and His involvement in the events of every day. The Bible describes Hezekiah as a king who had a close relationship with God, one who did “what was good and right and faithful before the LORD his God” 

 

We also need to hear that a patient and merciful God awaits our response and listens to our prayers. So we need to learn the lesson from Hezekiah. Our wealth and prosperity can tempt us to forget the Lord who gave it all to us. Our ability to do well can tempt us to forget how many times God has answered our prayers. How many times has God turned our darkness to light? How many times has God carried us through the dark valleys of life? We are not to take these answered prayers and blessings of God and forget him, become proud and thinking that we are excelling in life because of ourselves. 


How do we respond to God’s kindness? 


Dear Lord,
Thank You for your goodness. Thank You for the promise that I can be happy as I trust You. Open my eyes Lord as I read Your Word and think about Your goodness in my circumstances. Help me to taste Your truth and see how You are working in my life. May my life and the joy you fill me with, encourage those around me to taste and see that You are good.
In Your Name, Jesus, I pray,  Amen


No comments: