Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 16 September 2024

Daily Devotions


From Treasure we move to the gift of generosity, particularly that of a generous spirit as  portrayed in Bible.

The biblical story of Esther is an amazing example of a young woman who wisely took advantage of her resources and influence and, with God’s guidance, used it to help others. 


A while ago, the media highlighted the story of another young lady who used her connections to help someone in need. Nineteen-year-old Evan Leedy heard the story of an older man who walked twenty-one miles to work every day because he didn’t have a car. 


Evan started a GoFundMe page to raise money to buy him a car. Prior to that moment, Evan and James Robertson were strangers. Evan used her connections online to help someone she didn’t know. The newspaper headline announced “Donations Pour in for Detroit Man Who Walks 21 Miles for His Daily.”


I'm reminded of a song my mother used to sing:-

If I can help somebody, as I pass along,

If I can cheer somebody, with a word or song, 

If I can show somebody, he is travelling wrong, 

Then my living shall not be in vain.

If I can do my duty, as a good man ought,

If I can bring back beauty, to a world up wrought,

If I can spread love's message, as the Master taught, 

Then my living shall not be in vain.


What is it that the Master, Jesus taught? Matthew 10:42 “And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”


Isn’t it strange that we save our life by giving it away? It’s as if we lost all our money by saving it. It’s only when our energies are spent for the good of others, rather than just for our own good so that we can preserve and enhance our life. The self-centred person is the one who is caught up in controlling and preserving all for the self. Jesus is the opposite – he makes the best of himself for the betterment of others. Prayer can help this to happen for all of us.


Father, as we serve this day, may we be reminded that serving others is serving you. Would you infuse into our ordinary acts of service a special sense of your presence so that others may see Jesus in us. Thank you for loving us, living in us, and spilling out of us in our acts of service. Amen


No comments: