Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 22 August 2024

Daily Devotions


Today we consider the mathematical notion of subtraction. “This statement contains threee mistaks.”

What are the mistakes? "Three" is spelled incorrectly, and so is "mistakes." That's two mistakes. Oh! So the third mistake is that there are actually only two mistakes. But wait! That means there really are three mistakes. So that means it's not a mistake to say there are three mistakes.


The world and even the church has become fixated on numbers. This reminds we of three ministers who  were discussing their Easter Sunday results with one another on the Monday after Easter.


The Methodist minister said, "Easter services worked out great for us! We gained four new folk at First Methodist!" Praise God! The Baptist preacher grinned and said, "Well, we did better than that over at First Baptist! We gained six new additions!" Hallejuah! Then the Pentecostal pastor who had been silent and then finally blurted out, "Well, praise God, hallelujah, thank you, Jesus! We did even better than that over at First Pentecostal! We got rid of our 10 biggest troublemakers!


It perhaps gives a new meaning to the words, ‘The Lord give to and the Lord taketh away.’


In John 1:29-30 we read, “The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him and declared, “Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.’


John the Baptist was able to see who Jesus was because he was clear about who he was himself. Help me, Lord, to know my need of you, to learn to rely on you and to turn to you in trust.


Jesus, as I look at your life I discover what it is to live in harmony with God and with other people. You take away the sin of the world and call me to live as you did, healing me from anything that might hold me back, allowing me to let go of inhibitions. Amen


No comments: