Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 10 April 2024

Resurrection Strength


In all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. —  Romans 8:37

It seems to me that we often stop celebrating Christ’s resurrection too soon. It’s almost like once the 25th December has passed, Christmas Decorations seem to loose their magic. Ten days ago, as we celebrated Easter, many of us sang, or even shouted, with excitement, “Up from the grave he arose, with a mighty triumph o’er his foes,” and, “Christ the Lord is risen today! Alleluia!” It’s almost as if our ‘Easter Account’ has run out of funds.


The girl was in tears when she said to her father, "Dad, you gave me some terrible advice!"

"What did I tell you?" asked dad.


"You told me to put my money in that big bank, and now the bank is in trouble."


"What are you talking about? That’s one of the largest banks in the world," he said. "Surely there must be some mistake."


"I don’t think so," she sniffed. "They just returned one of my checks with a note saying, ‘Insufficient Funds.’"


The good news is that when we come before God with our needs, there is never a question of insufficient funds.


What are we excited about today? Does our worship on the first day of the week motivate us to live for the risen Lord in the other days of the week? Does it help us focus on what life is all about? How can we share this good news with the people around us today?


It is the ‘more’ element that fascinates me that from the Greek means ‘beyond’, ‘exceedingly’ or ‘overwhelmingly’, but perhaps more importantly it is the fact that we are conquerors through the  love of Christ. 


Watchman Nee puts it this way. “Outside of Christ, I am only a sinner, but in Christ, I am saved. Outside of Christ, I am empty; in Christ, I am full. Outside of Christ, I am weak; in Christ, I am strong. Outside of Christ, I cannot; in Christ, I am more than able. Outside of Christ, I have been defeated; in Christ, I am already victorious. How meaningful are the words, "in Christ."


Loving Father, praise Your wonderful name for this glorious truth that no matter what happens in my life, I am a conqueror through Christ Who loved me and gave Himself for me. Help me not only to see this as a future hope but as a present victory in Him today. In Jesus' name I pray, AMEN.


No comments: