Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Saturday 30 March 2024

Holy Week


The Saturday of holy week seems such an empty day as we just wait for the
 resurrection. Like those who kindly placed Jesus in the tomb, we wait with them for something new. With Jesus there is always the hint of something new, and even at the tomb the authorities were afraid that Jesus might rise.

Matthew 27:62-66 “The next day, which followed the preparation day, the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered before Pilate and said, “Sir, we remember that while this deceiver was still alive he said, ‘After three days I will rise again.’ So give orders that the tomb be made secure until the third day. Otherwise, his disciples may come, steal him, and tell the people, ‘He has been raised from the dead,’ and the last deception will be worse than the first.”


“You have a guard of soldiers,” Pilate told them. “Go and make it as secure as you know how.” They went and secured the tomb by setting a seal on the stone and placing the guards.


This passage tells us the strange story of how the Chief Priests simply could not dismiss the possibility that Jesus might have known something they didn’t. They went to Pilate and explained that while Jesus was clearly an imposter, His disciples might try to steal His body and fake a resurrection. Pilate’s response was laced with poetic foreshadowing when he said, “Here is a guard of soldiers. Make the tomb as secure as you can.”


My Lord, today all is silent.  You have given your precious life for the salvation of the world.  You died a horrific death, poured out all mercy from your wounded heart, and now you rest in peace in the tomb as the soldiers keep vigil.

 

Lord, may I also keep vigil with you as you sleep.  I know that this day ends with your glorious triumph, your victory over sin and death.  But for now I sit quietly mourning your death.  

 

Help me, dear Lord, to enter into the sorrow and the silence of this Holy Saturday.  Today no Sacraments are celebrated.  Today the world waits in mourning in anticipation of the glory of new life!  

 

As I keep vigil, awaiting the celebration of your Resurrection, fill me with hope.  Help me to look forward to the celebration of your Resurrection, but also to look forward to the hope of my own share in the new life you won for the world.  

 

I entrust my whole being to you, dear Lord, as you lay lifeless and still.  May your rest transform the brokenness of my own soul, my weaknesses, my sin and my frailty.  You are glorious and you bring the greatest good out of your apparent defeat.  I trust in your power to do all things and I entrust my life to you.  Jesus, I trust in you. Amen.

No comments: