Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 22 February 2024

Celtic Daily Prayer


In the shadow of Your wings
I will sing Your praises, O Lord.


Where is the place where your heart soars with praise, the place where your heart  overflows with gratitude and love.


Yet, being under the shadow of God is more than a place of comfort; it is a place of sacrificial care.


It was a hot day as train came roaring down the tracks. Sparks were flying everywhere because of the hot temperatures. When the sparks flew,  they would often begin a fire that would destroy fields, homes and livestock.


One particular day a fire spread from a railway causing major damage. Later an old farmer walked through the ashes of his home and farm when he saw an old hen lying on the ground, burnt to death. Her wings were spread open. In his anger, he kicked the old hen. To his surprise, several  chicks ran out from under her burnt wings. The hen had sacrificed herself for the sake of her little ones.


In Matthew 23:36-37 we find Jesus using the Old Testament words, “Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation. Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing. How willing are we to place ourselves under the wings of  Christ, and there sing our  songs of praise.”


Lord God,

I pray for Your protection as I begin this day. You are my hiding place, and under Your wings I can always find refuge. Protect me from trouble wherever I go, and keep evil far from me. No matter where I am, I will look to You as my Protector, the one who fights for me every day.


Your love and faithfulness, along with Your goodness and mercy, surround me daily, so I will not fear whatever might come against me. My trust is in You, God, and I give thanks to You for Your love and protection.  Amen


No comments: